Thursday, November 3, 2011

Kingomen Waterfall










Last week we set out on a short hike near the hospital to visit the Kingomen Waterfall. Lee and I went with two American Peace Corps volunteers and a Cameroonian Green Care worker. It was about an hour’s hike away and on our way to the waterfall, we happened to walk by a primary school where classes were ending. As we were walking we soon realized we had a gathering of about 30-40 school children following us. I suppose they have a natural fascination with us since we look different from them and they often yell out “White man!” to get our attention which I think is funny since I am neither white nor a man. I guess this could probably be misinterpreted negatively but I think for these kids it is simply because they don’t know what else to call us!

The waterfall was nice and there was a small cave that you could walk into behind the waterfall. Not bad for a late afternoon activity after working in the hospital.

I included some pictures of the rest house we are staying in with the backdrop of the hills of Kumbo and also a picture of “Squares,” which is kind of the downtown of Kumbo where there are a handful of restaurants and small stands that sell vegetables, cooked food, supplies, etc. It looks more like a triangle to me rather than a square but hey, who am I to judge.

No comments: